Kanye West was under observation at a Los Angeles area hospital late Monday after the remaining dates of his national tour were abruptly canceled, multiple authorities familiar with the case told NBC News.
The admission followed a week of bizarre incidents during which the provocative rapper publicly railed against fellow music stars Beyoncé and Jay Z and retroactively endorsed President-elect Donald Trump.
A source familiar with the case said Los Angeles police responded to a medical welfare call about 1:20 p.m. (4:20 p.m. ET). No criminal activity was involved; the decision to hospitalize West was for his own health and safety, the sources said.
Let our news meet your inbox. The news and stories that matters, delivered weekday mornings.
West's concert promoter, Live Nation, said earlier in the day that the remaining dates of his Saint Pablo Tour had been called off. No reason was given.
A representative for West didn't immediately respond to NBC News' request for comment.
The cancellation of West's tour comes on the heels of a rough week for the rapper, who has made controversial statements and feuds with fellow celebrities a centerpiece of his art and persona.
On Thursday, West announced at a concert in San Jose, California, that he hadn't voted in the 2016 presidential election but that he would have supported Trump "if I voted." The statement was met with boos.
Two days later, West used another concert in Sacramento, California, as an opportunity to lash out against everyone from Beyoncé to Mark Zuckerberg, saying he was "on my Trump sh–t tonight." West performed just two songs, according to The Sacramento Bee, and left abruptly after 30 minutes.
Afterward, the hashtag #KanyeIsOverParty soon began trending on Twitter.
It's hardly the first time West has found himself in hot water for combative, self-aggrandizing behavior. The artist known for hits such as "Gold Digger" and "Jesus Walks" once famously interrupted Taylor Swift at the MTV Video Music Awards, insisting that her award should have gone to Beyoncé. Last year, he declared that he would run for president in 2020.