Breaking News Emails
Here are the top 6 stories we are following Thursday at NBC News:
1. Chris Christie embroiled in bridge scandal: A top aide to the N.J. governor is implicated in a scheme that shut down a major bridge in Fort Lee, N.J., for days as political payback against the town’s mayor. Christie has denined involvement, and will hold an 11 a.m. ET press conference in Trenton. Read more in POLITICS.
2. Dennis Rodman sorry for basketball diplomacy behavior: The former NBA star made another trip to North Korea for an exhibition game, but an incoherent TV interview only heightened the circus-like atmosphere. Rodman later apologized, admitting he had been drinking. Read more in NEWS.
3. Insane Clown Posse vs. The FBI: The hardcore hip-hop duo is teaming up with the ACLU in a lawsuit against the feds, demanding that the agency remove “Juggalos” from their list of gangs. The term refers to the group’s fans, known for their black-and-white makeup. Read more in NEWS.
4. Central African Republic a country in chaos: NBC's Ann Curry reports from the African nation being ripped apart by violence and rebel fighting, and fears it could be racing toward a humanitarian disaster. Read more in NEWS.
5. Sandra Bullock a popular ‘Choice’: The "Gravity" actress scooped up four awards at the People’s Choice Awards on Wednesday night. Other big winners include Britney Spears for favorite pop artist and Robert Downey Jr. for favorite action movie star. Read more in POP CULTURE.
6. Utah avalanche was a record breaker: An April 2013 rockslide near Salt Lake City was so big it could have easily buried New York’s Central Park under 66 feet of rubble. Scientists say it was the largest avalanche in North America's modern history. Read more in TECH & SCIENCE.