Breaking News Emails

Get breaking news alerts and special reports. The news and stories that matter, delivered weekday mornings.
 / Updated 

A southern Minnesota school was evacuated Thursday morning after about two dozen students became sick with symptoms suggesting carbon monoxide poisoning, local media reported.

The ill students were transported by ambulance to Mayo Health Systems in Springfield, Minn., KARE-TV, NBC’s station in Minneapolis reported.

The Springfield Public School was completely cleared out after students in the building’s auditorium were sickened about 9:45 a.m.

Ken Burns, a hospital spokesman, told the station that 30 people were treated for symptoms of suspected carbon monoxide poisoning. By afternoon, 22 of those were treated and released, while eight remained in the hospital for observation.

The condition and ages of the patients weren’t disclosed

According to KARE, the Springfield Fire Department and a crew from Center Point Energy were checking the building and attempting to find the source of the problem.

Officials closed the school down for the day. Student and staff from the school were taken to a nearby community center, where parents were asked to pick up their children.