IE 11 is not supported. For an optimal experience visit our site on another browser.

N.J. man arrested for 'terroristic threats' at Jewish deli where 3 were killed in bias attack

Taylor Stackhouse, 38, allegedly threatened a Hasidic businessman at the Jersey City Kosher Market that was targeted by shooters in December.
Police officers stand near the scene of a gun fight at a kosher supermarket in Jersey City, N.J., on Dec. 12, 2019.Seth Wenig / AP file

A New Jersey man was arrested for allegedly threatening to shoot a Hasidic businessman at a Jewish deli in Jersey City, where three people were killed in an attack in December, authorities said on Friday.

Taylor Stackhouse, 38, was charged with bias intimidation and making terroristic threats against a property manager wearing "traditional Hasidic Jewish clothing" as he walked out of a building that includes the Jersey City Kosher Supermarket, Hudson County prosecutors said.

Stackhouse "did commit bias intimidation by committing ... the act of terroristic threats with the purpose to intimidate the victim ... based on his religion," according to a criminal complaint. "Specifically by threatening to shoot the victim with a gun because the victim is Jewish."

The confrontation happened about 11:50 a.m. Tuesday as "Stackhouse approached the victim " and "made multiple threats," according to a statement by prosecutors. Stackhouse was arrested on Thursday and made his initial court appearance on Friday afternoon.

He was ordered held over until his detention hearing Wednesday, according to a spokeswoman for Hudson County prosecutors.

Back on Dec. 10, a police officer was killed near the store before David Anderson, 47, and Francine Graham, 50, stormed Jersey City Kosher Supermarket and killed three people inside. The shooters died in the ensuing, fierce gun battle with police.

Prosecutors have no evidence that Stackhouse's arrest is linked to the shooting, saying in a statement: "At this stage of the investigation, there is no indication that there is any connection between Stackhouse and the events of Dec. 10."

The victims of that attack were: Mindy Ferencz, 32, who ran the store with her husband; Douglas "Miguel" Rodriguez, 49, who is believed to have worked at the store; and Moshe Deutsch, 24, were killed at the store.

Before carnage unfolded inside the store, Jersey City police Det. Joseph Seals was fatally shot nearby as he approached Anderson and Graham.

Seals was investigating the duo in connection to the slaying of a livery cab driver in nearby Bayonne, New Jersey, police said.