North Mac Students Rushed to Hospital for Carbon Monoxide Scare

Breaking News Emails

Get breaking news alerts and special reports. The news and stories that matter, delivered weekday mornings.

Early Monday morning students of an Illinois middle school were transported by ambulance to local hospitals after showing signs of carbon monoxide poisoning.

At about 8:45 a.m., North Mac Intermediate and Middle Schools were evacuated, after approximately 150 students and faculty were exhibiting symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning — nearly 60 people have been transported to local hospitals. According to a statement released by the school, roughly 640 students were on campus at the time. Those who were not displaying signs of illness were transported to churches. Students and faculty who showed signs were held then transported to hospitals by medical personnel.

Liberty Utilities responded to the call and immediately turned off the gas, although no gas leak was identified, North Mac schools have said. No students remained on the South Campus Monday, and the majority of students have been picked up from churches by parents. The North Mac schools will be closed on Tuesday.

According to the Center of Disease Control, symptoms of carbon monoxide poising are headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion. High levels of carbon monoxide inhalation can cause loss of consciousness and death.



- Mel Bailey