IE 11 is not supported. For an optimal experience visit our site on another browser.

Man accused of fatally shooting 3, including TV reporter and 9-year-old girl, is hit with additional murder charges

It's not clear what motivated the Feb. 22 shootings. Orange County authorities have said the suspect was not cooperative with investigators.

The 19-year-old man who police say fatally shot three people in Florida last week, including a TV journalist and a 9-year-old girl, has been charged with additional murder and attempted murder counts. 

Keith Melvin Moses was taken into custody Feb. 22 and charged with a single count of first-degree murder in the death of the first victim, Nathacha Augustin, 38, earlier that day, the Orange County Sheriff's Office said.

In the Feb. 22 carnage in Pine Hills, a community west of Orlando, he is alleged to have shot Augustin, returned to the scene four hours later, entered a home in the area and fatally shot T’Yonna Major, 9, and injured her mother. Authorities allege he then left the home and killed Spectrum News 13 reporter Dylan Lyons and injured photojournalist Jesse Walden.

Moses, whom authorities described as a “known gang member” with a lengthy rap sheet, was charged Monday night with two counts of first-degree murder with a firearm in the deaths of Lyons and T’Yonna and two counts of attempted first-degree murder with a firearm in the injuries of Walden and T’Yonna's mother.

Spectrum News 13 reporter Dylan Lyons in September.
Spectrum News 13 reporter Dylan Lyons in September.@DylanLyonsNews / Twitter

The warrant revealed that T’Yonna died of two gunshot wounds to her torso and that Lyons died of a gunshot wound to the chest. 

Moses was also charged with one count of armed burglary of a dwelling with a firearm for breaking into T’Yonna's home. 

The arrest warrants were signed Monday evening and were served at the jail where Moses is being held late Monday, the sheriff's office said.

According to a timeline officials laid out in the arrest warrant, the first 911 call for Augustin’s death came in around 11:13 a.m. At 3:49 p.m., Moses entered the backyard of T’Yonna’s home, it says. He left the home at 4:03 p.m., and two minutes later the first 911 call reporting the shootings of Lyons and Walden came in, it says. At 4:08 p.m., T’Yonna’s mother told 911 she and her daughter had been shot. 

The arrest warrant said that during the break-in at T'Yonna's home, her mother, who was asleep, had told her daughter to get her dance items together to be ready when her father got home. The mother woke up to her daughter yelling, “He shot me!” it says. As the mom woke up, she heard two gunshots and felt she had been shot in the arm, it says. They then barricaded themselves in the bathroom until law enforcement arrived. 

Police had already identified Moses as the suspect in the death of Augustin.

T’Yonna described the suspect to deputies, saying he entered the residence from the back door, which matched the description given by other witnesses. 

Moses was found at 4:30 p.m., and authorities secured a Glock .40 caliber firearm from him. 

Sheriff John Mina said that Moses has been uncooperative with investigators and that a motive remains under investigation.

A hearing on the additional charges is scheduled in Orange County court at 1 p.m. Tuesday.

Last week, Moses waived his arraignment, and his lawyer entered a plea of not guilty on the preliminary murder charge.