Twenty-three people were treated for drug overdoses at an Ohio music festival after eating a substance that resembled a type of candy, authorities said.
There were no deaths and no one lost consciousness after the incident at the EST Fest in Richland County, NBC affiliate WCMH in Columbus reported.
The Mansfield News Journal quoted a Richland County sheriff’s major as saying the concertgoers were given packets of what appeared to be candy that had a "very, very high dose of THC." The packets were marked "Nerds," Major Joe Masi told the newspaper. THC is the chemical in marijuana that intoxicates users.
A spokesperson for the hospital OhioHealth in Mansfield told NBC News that 23 patients were treated with Narcan, a spray used to treat known or suspected opioid overdoses, Saturday afternoon and were then taken to the hospital for treatment.
The music festival was held at Ohio Dreams action sports camp in Butler, a village about 15 miles southeast of Mansfield.
The EST Fest website says the two day music festival began Friday. Event organizers did not immediately respond to a request for comment. A sheriff's official said police have had no problems at the event besides Saturday's incident.