Subscribe to Breaking News emails

You have successfully subscribed to the Breaking News email.

Subscribe today to be the first to to know about breaking news and special reports.

Parkland father files lawsuit against 'coward' school resource officer

"I want to expose that coward so bad," Andrew Pollack tweeted of Scot Peterson, who resigned amid an investigation into the Feb. 14 shooting.
by Erik Ortiz /
Image: Trump Holds Listening Session With Students And Teachers On Mass Shootings
Andrew Pollack, whose daughter, Meadow, was killed in the Feb. 14 mass school shooting in Parkland, Florida, with his sons at a listening session at the White House a week after the shooting. Chip Somodevilla / Getty Images

Breaking News Emails

Get breaking news alerts and special reports. The news and stories that matter, delivered weekday mornings.

A father whose daughter was killed in the Feb. 14 mass shooting in Parkland, Florida, has filed a wrongful death lawsuit against not only the accused gunman, but the school resource officer who stayed outside while the rampage took place.

In his suit filed Monday in Broward Circuit Court, Andrew Pollack names Scot Peterson, the armed sheriff's deputy assigned to Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, as a defendant.

"I want to expose that coward so bad," Pollack tweeted of Peterson, who resigned as a school resource officer, or SRO, amid an investigation into the shooting. "Where ever he goes I want people to recognize him and say that's one of the cowards of Broward. The SRO that let those children and teachers die on the 3rd floor!"

The suit asks for a jury trial and unspecified damages. Pollack, whose daughter, Meadow, was one of the 17 people killed in the shooting, also tweeted that it "has nothing to do with money."

A week after the massacre, Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel confirmed that Peterson was outside the school for upward of four minutes and, while armed, never engaged the shooter.

Peterson should have "addressed the killer, killed the killer," Israel said at a news conference.

An attorney for Peterson could not be immediately reached for comment Tuesday, but has previously said that "allegations that Mr. Peterson was a coward and that his performance, under the circumstances, failed to meet the standards of police officers are patently untrue."

Also named in Pollack's suit are Nikolas Cruz, the 19-year-old suspect; the estate of Cruz's late mother; the family who took Cruz in after his mother died; and various mental health agencies.

Cruz has been charged with 17 counts of murder and 17 counts of attempted murder (for those wounded in the shooting), and is currently awaiting a trial date.

Pollack, meanwhile, was one of the more vocal parents after the shooting, expressing outrage during a meeting at the White House with President Donald Trump about the lack of legislative action on guns.

"Fix it!" he told Trump as he described how his 18-year-old daughter was killed.

"It should've been one school shooting, and we should've fixed it," Pollack said. "I'm pissed."

The White House in March said it would propose funding firearms training for school personnel and bolster firearm background checks, but steered clear of a previous idea floated by Trump to raise the minimum legal age to buy semiautomatic weapons from 18 to 21.

A student survivor from Parkland, Anthony Borges, 15, filed a lawsuit last month against Cruz and others. Borges is credited with saving as many as 20 of his classmates.

Breaking News Emails

Get breaking news alerts and special reports. The news and stories that matter, delivered weekday mornings.
MORE FROM news