IE 11 is not supported. For an optimal experience visit our site on another browser.

Gabby Petito's disappearance and death: A timeline of events

Skeletal remains found in Florida were confirmed to be those of fiancé Brian Laundrie, who has been called a person of interest in Petito's killing.
Gabrielle Petito and Brian Laundrie.
Gabrielle Petito and Brian Laundrie.via Instagram

Before 22-year-old Gabby Petito went missing, she and her fiancé, Brian Laundrie, were in love and ready to embark on the road trip of a lifetime.

The couple began a cross-country tour of national parks in July, documenting their journey on YouTube and Instagram using the hashtag #VanLife.

Authorities across the U.S. mounted a search for Petito, who was lasst heard from since late August when she was believed to be in Grand Teton National Park near Jackson, Wyoming.

Police in Florida called Laundrie a “person of interest” in Petito's disappearance.

Early days of the relationship

Petito and Laundrie met in high school, Petito's mother said, and announced their engagement last year.

"Brian asked me to marry him and I said yes!" Petito wrote on Instagram. "You make life feel unreal, and everyday is such a dream with you."

Petito, of Blue Point, New York, later moved to North Port, Florida, to live with Laundrie, Petito's mother, Nicole Schmidt, said.

This year's road trip wasn't Petito's first. She documented a western-bound trip on Instagram in 2019. In a January 2020 post, she said driving across the country to California and Oregon was an "absolute dream." And in May 2020, she posted that she couldn't wait to get back to "traveling the world" with Laundrie.

“She wanted to cross the country in the camper van and live the van life and live free. This was her dream,” Schmidt told NBC affiliate KSL.

Road trip begins in early July

Petito and Laundrie left Blue Point, New York, on July 2 in a 2012 Ford Transit van, according to her social media posts and Schmidt's statements to KSL.

The couple chronicled their trip on their Instagram accounts and YouTube under the moniker Nomadic Statik.

The social media posts and statements from Petito’s family provide a footprint of the couple’s travels, indicating they drove about 3,800 miles, to Kansas, Colorado, Utah and Wyoming before Petito was reported missing.

In a blurb on the couple’s sole YouTube video, they noted they had traveled together before.

“After our first cross country trip in a little Nissan Sentra, we both decided we wanted to downsize our lives and travel full time," they wrote.

Instagram posts from July show she and Laundrie trekked the country’s national parks, visiting Monument Rocks in Kansas and the Great Sand Dunes National Park in Colorado before heading to Utah.

"There’s no place like the tiny home we built," Petito wrote in a July 4 post from Kansas.

A post from July 16 placed them in Utah's Zion National Park.

"The past two nights camping in Zion have been so cool, literally," Petito wrote on Instagram. "We hiked up here in about 100 [degrees] and it was so nice coming back to our campsite, watching the sky fill with dark clouds, and view the lightning storm in the nice cool air of the light rain."

Five days later, Petito posted from Bryce Canyon National Park, also in Utah. Posts later that month placed the couple at other landmarks around the state, including Mystic Hot Springs and Canyonlands National Park.

August altercation documented by Utah police

On Aug. 12, police in Moab, Utah, responded to a report of a "domestic problem" between Petito and Laundrie, according to police reports released this week.

The alleged altercation happened as Petito and Laundrie were driving toward Arches National Park, according to a police report. A responding officer reported that the couple's van was traveling about 45 mph in a 15 mph zone. As the officer turned on the lights to pull over the van, it swerved and hit a curb before coming to a stop, according to the report.

Another officer wrote that Petito had slapped Laundrie after an argument, at which point Laundrie allegedly attempted to lock her out of the van. She forced her way back in before Laundrie drove off, according to the report.

The two told the officer that "they are in love and engaged to be married and desperately didn't wish to see anyone charged with a crime," according to the report.

The pair was told to separate for the night, with Petito maintaining possession of the van. No charges were filed.

Petito and Laundrie also told officers they were struggling with their mental health, and neither were on medication. The long road trip was taking a toll on them, Laundrie told an officer.

“The time spent created emotional strain between them and increased the number of arguments,” the report said.

Bodycam footage released Thursday also captured some of the encounter with police.

It showed an officer talking to Laundrie and an emotional Petito after authorities pulled over the van. Petito could be seen wiping away tears as she told the responding officer she was struggling.

“I’m sorry," Petito said after the officer asked why she was crying. "We’ve just been fighting this morning. Some personal issues."

Laundrie added: "It was a long day. We were camping yesterday.”

When the officer asked Laundrie about scratches on his face, he responded: "She had her phone and was trying to get the keys from me. I said, 'Let's just step back and breathe,' and she got me with her phone."

Petito reported missing

In the days after the Moab incident, Petito’s communications with her family stopped, police have said.

Schmidt said the couple left Salt Lake City for Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming around Aug. 24, which was when she said she last spoke to her daughter on a FaceTime call. She said she received texts sent from her daughter's phone until Aug. 30, but she wasn't sure whether her daughter sent them.

Petito's last text to her mother read: “No service in Yosemite.” It is unclear whether the couple ever made it to the California park. Petito's last post on Instagram is dated Aug. 25, with no location specified.

What happened next is mostly a mystery, her family and officials say. What is known is that Laundrie made it to Florida with the van, according to police.

Police in North Port said they recovered the van Sept. 11 at the home the couple shared with Laundrie's parents. Police said Laundrie returned to North Port on Sept. 1, 10 days before Petito's family reported her missing.

"Every day the search for Gabby continues the Schmidt and Petito family becomes more desperate," Petito’s family’s attorney, Richard Stafford, said this week. "They are frantically searching for answers and information in their daughter’s disappearance while Brian sits in the comfort of his home."

Bertolino said in a statement Wednesday that his client would not speak on the matter because "intimate partners” are often the first police focus on.

"I have been informed that the North Port, Florida police have named Brian Laundrie as a 'person of interest' in this matter," Bertolino said. "This formality has not really changed the circumstances of Mr. Laundrie being the focus and attention of law enforcement, and Mr. Laundrie will continue to remain silent on the advice of counsel.”

Laundrie reported missing

Police in Florida searched a vast wildlife reserve near the Gulf Coast for Laundrie after his family earlier told officers that they haven't seen him since Tuesday. Police said the conversation Friday evening was the first time they'd spoken with the Laundries in detail about the case, and that the meeting came at the family's request.

Dozens of North Port police officers, FBI agents and members of other law enforcement agencies searched the 24,000-acre (9,712-hectare) Carlton Reserve in the Sarasota, Florida area.

“His family says they believe he entered the area earlier this week," North Port Police tweeted Saturday.

September: Petito's body found in Wyoming

On Sept. 19, a body was found at the Spread Creek Dispersed Camping Area in Bridger-Teton National Forest in Wyoming, which would later be confirmed to be Petito.

Petito had been dead for at least three weeks, and her death was ruled a homicide by "manual strangulation," the coroner said.

October: Remains found, confirmed to be those of Laundrie

On Oct. 20, human remains were found along with personal items belonging to Laundrie, including a backpack and notebook.

They were found in Florida's Carlton Reserve in a location that had previously been submerged.

On Oct. 21, the FBI said a comparison of dental records confirmed that those remains are those of Laundrie.

A spokesperson for the North Port Police had described the remains as skeletal.