Prosecutors in Los Angeles have declined to pursue felony charges against hip-hop impresario Sean “Diddy” Combs, who was arrested on suspicion of attacking a UCLA coach with a kettlebell.
Combs had been charged with three counts of assault with a deadly weapon and one count each of making terroristic threats and battery in the June 22 incident at an athletic complex at the University of California Los Angeles.
Combs' son, Justin, is a defensive back with the UCLA Bruins.
Police did not detail the alleged assault against a coach on the UCLA Football staff, but said in a statement said that Combs used a kettlebell — a large ball with a handle for exercising, usually made from iron.
A source familiar with the case said Combs claimed he acted in self defense and that his son felt he was being bullied by the coach. Combs went to talk to the coach, but the coach refused to speak with him, and Combs said he held up the kettlebell to defend himself, the source said.
The coach wanted to call campus police and Combs said that he would call 911 during the incident, the source said.
The Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office this week referred the case to the Los Angeles City Attorney’s Office, which means prosecutors are declining to pursue felony charges. The city attorney could choose to bring misdemeanor charges in the case.
Combs' attorney, Mark Geragos, said criminal charges never should have been brought.
"We are thankful that the District Attorney rejected Felony charges in this matter," Geragos said in a statement Thursday. "This case never should have been part of the criminal justice system to begin with."
UCLA Football coach Jim Mora at the time called the dustup "an unfortunate incident for all parties involved."