• News
  • Nightly News
  • Meet the Press
  • Dateline
  • MSNBC
  • TODAY
  • Politics
  • U.S. News
  • Business
  • World
  • Tech & Media
  • THINK
  • Sports

  • Share this —

Sections

  • U.S. News
  • Politics
  • World
  • Local
  • Business
  • Health
  • Investigations
  • Culture Matters
  • Science
  • Sports
  • Tech & Media
  • Trump Effect
  • In Focus
  • Russia Investigation
  • Photos
  • Weather

TV

  • Today
  • MSNBC
  • Nightly News
  • Meet The Press
  • Dateline

Featured

  • THINK
  • MACH
  • BETTER
  • NIGHTLY FILMS
  • NBC LEFT FIELD
  • ASIAN AMERICA
  • NBC LATINO
  • NBCBLK
  • NBC OUT
  • STAY TUNED
  • SPECIAL FEATURES

More from NBC

  • CNBC
  • NBC.COM
  • NBC LEARN
  • Peacock Productions
  • Next Steps for Vets
  • Parent Toolkit
  • NBC Archives
  • Know Your Value

Follow NBC News

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Email
  • SMS
  • Print
  • Whatsapp
  • Reddit
  • Pocket
  • Flipboard
  • Pinterest
  • Linkedin

U.S. news

Robert Bates, Oklahoma Reserve Deputy, Pleads Not Guilty to Manslaughter

Reserve Deputy Pleads Not Guilty, Asks Judge for Vacation

April 21, 201500:24

Breaking News Emails

Get breaking news alerts and special reports. The news and stories that matter, delivered weekday mornings.
SUBSCRIBE
April 21, 2015, 2:15 PM UTC / Updated April 21, 2015, 11:19 PM UTC / Source: NBC News

Robert Bates, the Oklahoma reserve sheriff’s deputy who says he mistook his gun for his Taser when he shot and killed a man earlier this month, pleaded not guilty on Tuesday to second-degree manslaughter.

A judge set a hearing for July 2. The judge allowed Bates to take a previously planned vacation to the Bahamas. Bates did not address reporters as he entered and left court.

Bates, a 73-year-old retired insurance executive who volunteered with the sheriff’s department in Tulsa, was providing backup during a sting on April 2. He shot and killed Eric Harris, who had allegedly tried to sell a gun to an undercover officer and then bolted.

A lawyer for the Harris family, Dan Smolen, said he was not surprised that Bates had pleaded not guilty — but he was surprised about the vacation.

“Whether intended or not, Mr. Bates' vacationing in the Bahamas at this time sends a message of apathy with respect to the shooting and Eric's life,” he said. “At a time when we are still mourning the death of a loved one that he shot down in the street, Mr. Bates will be relaxing and enjoying his wealth and privilege."

Sheriff Stanley Glanz apologized to the Harris family on Monday — “We are sorry Eric was taken from you” — and said it was proper for Bates to have been on the operation.

Bates told TODAY last week that shooting Harris was “No. 1 on my list of things in my life that I regret.”

Robert Bates Reports to Court Amid Media Frenzy

April 21, 201500:25

IN-DEPTH

  • Oklahoma Sheriff: 'We Are Sorry Eric Was Taken From You'
  • Son on Fatal Cop Shooting: 'They Should All Go Down'
— Gabe Gutierrez and Erin McClam
  • About
  • Contact
  • Careers
  • Privacy policy
  • Terms of Service
  • NBCNews.COM Site Map
  • Advertise
  • AdChoices

© 2019 NBC UNIVERSAL