IE 11 is not supported. For an optimal experience visit our site on another browser.

Suspect in Shooting of Fargo Police Officer Jason Moszer Found Dead

Loved ones of a police officer mortally wounded while responding to a domestic dispute were at his hospital bedside and "saying goodbye to him."
Image: Jason Moszer
Fargo police officer Jason Moszer.Fargo Police Department via AP

The man suspected of shooting a North Dakota police officer was found dead after a SWAT team barged inside a barricaded home at dawn, the police chief said.

Meanwhile, loved ones of Fargo Officer Jason Moszer, mortally wounded while responding to a domestic dispute, were at a hospital bedside Thursday and "saying goodbye to him," Chief David Todd said.

Fargo police officer Jason Moszer.Fargo Police Department via AP

Todd did not identify the suspect and said it was too soon to tell whether he was felled by police bullets — or if he took his own life during the 11-hour standoff.

Related: Fargo Officer Jason Moszer Shot During Standoff, Not Expected to Survive

But Todd said the grieving for Moszer has already begun.

"He came to work every day with a smile and loved working on the street," Todd told North Dakota's Valley News Live. "Law enforcement is a tight community. We're a brotherhood and a sisterhood, so it's like losing a brother. That's how it feels."

"Right now, my job as chief is to take care of the family and take [care] of our officers as we mourn our loss."

Moszer, 33, has been with the Fargo Police Department for six years and is married with two step-children.

The chain of events that led to the tragedy began around 7 p.m. Wednesday when the suspect's son called police to report a domestic disturbance. He said his father had fired at his mother and they had escaped from the house.

Moszer was hit after the SWAT team arrived at the home and the suspect responded to police pleas to surrender with bullets.

Todd said he believes the suspect was looking to kill a cop.

"A squad car was shot... then Officer Moszer was hit," he said. "There was nothing random about it."

Moszer suffered what police described as "non-life-sustaining" injuries and was placed on life support to give his family time to say farewell.