Breaking News Emails

Get breaking news alerts and special reports. The news and stories that matter, delivered weekday mornings.

HIGHGATE, Vt. — An aerobatic stunt pilot narrowly escaped by parachute Friday when his single-passenger plane crashed in a fireball onto a northern Vermont interstate, charring the ground beneath it.

Dan Marcotte, an experienced stunt pilot, bailed from the plane before it crashed into a lane of Interstate 89 North in Highgate, Vt., near the Canadian border and the Franklin County State Airport.

Firefighters found him dangling in his parachute from a tree and cut him down. He was not seriously injured, police said.

"Something happened to the plane; he knew something was wrong," Lt. Garry Scott of the Vt. State Police said of the pilot.

The section of I-89 was shut down twice during this emergency: once during the initial frenzy, once as the wreckage was cleared away. At times during the removal of the wreckage, one lane of slow travel was allowed. No drivers were hit when the plane hurtled to the ground.

"These high speeds; we're pretty lucky no one else was injured," Lt. Scott said.

Charred wreckage of a stunt plane lies along Interstate 89 in northern Vermont near the Canadian border.Jack Thurston / NECN

The Dan Marcotte AirShows Facebook page identified Marcotte as the operator. He's an experienced stunt pilot who performs aerobatic tricks at events such as the Independence Day celebration on the Burlington waterfront.

A loved one wrote on the Facebook page that the performer is doing okay, explaining Marcotte was practicing when he had to jump. The page administrator wrote, "Thank God for our STRONG parachute!"

"He was very upset; emotionally upset," Lt. Scott said of Marcotte. "But no real significant injuries. He was able to walk, he came back to the scene, and talked to investigators."

Scott said the Federal Aviation Administration, out of Maine, will look into what went wrong. Police and a towing service gathered as much of the wreckage as they could find.

Asked if this was a first-of-its-kind response for him, Mike Cota of Cota's Towing in Swanton said, "No. We have about one a year or so; somebody goes down up here."

The Facebook page for Dan Marcotte AirShows was lighting up with well-wishes Friday afternoon, with folks very glad their friend lived through this, likely still with more thrill-seeking left in him.

See the original report on

— New England Cable News