IE 11 is not supported. For an optimal experience visit our site on another browser.

Navy hospital corpsman killed at Maryland base after shooting two people nearby, officials say

The victims are in critical condition, officials said.
Get more newsLiveon

A Navy hospital corpsman was killed at a Maryland base on Tuesday after shooting two people nearby, officials said.

Officials responded about 8:20 a.m. to the initial shooting scene at Riverside Technical Park in Frederick, about 52 miles northwest of Washington, police said Tuesday. Authorities said that the call described a shooting that was at a storefront “tied to the Navy."

Frederick Police Chief Jason Lando said officers found two men, both Navy sailors, with gunshot wounds. The victims were taken to Baltimore Shock Trauma, where they were listed in "critical condition," Lando said. One of the victims was released a few hours later while the other sailor remained critical.

Authorities identified the suspect as a 38-year-old Fantahun Girma Woldesenbet, a Navy hospital corpsman assigned to the nearby Fort Detrick military base. Woldesenbet, after shooting the two men, drove about 10 minutes to Fort Detrick, where he was shot.

“The U.S. Navy can confirm there was an active shooter incident at Fort Detrick, Maryland, involving U.S. Navy sailors,” a U.S. Navy spokesperson told NBC News.

Woldesenbet was initially held at the Nalin Pond gate at Fort Detrick because of an alert issued for his vehicle, but fled from the holding area. He made it about half a mile past the gates before being stopped by a police officer.

Woldesenbet, who lived off base in Frederick, was shot after exiting the car with a weapon, police said. It's unclear whether the weapon was the same as the rifle he used during the shooting at Riverside Technical Park.

The names of the injured men were not immediately released by authorities. No other injuries were reported.

The FBI's Baltimore Field Office was assisting the Maryland State Police and Frederick County Police in the investigation.

"Currently there are two victims and one suspect is down," police said in a tweet early Tuesday. "Please avoid the area of Progress Drive and Opposumtown Pike."

Several schools in Frederick County were placed on a brief lockdown about 8:30 a.m. as police investigated. The lockdown has since been lifted.

The Navy will continue to provide updates on the situation as more details come in, the U.S. Navy spokesperson told NBC News.