IE 11 is not supported. For an optimal experience visit our site on another browser.

Three police officers shot in Houston while serving warrant

The suspected shooter eventually killed himself after an hours-long barricade, officials said.

A sheriff's deputy and two other officers were shot and wounded in Houston as they served a felony arrest warrant on a suspect who later killed himself, officials said.

The deputy was from the Harris County Sheriff's Office, and the two officers were from the Texas Attorney General's Office, authorities said.

"All three injured officers are awake and alert. Expected to survive their injuries. Thank you all for your prayers," Sheriff Ed Gonzalez tweeted.

Daniel TravinoHarris County Sheriff's Office

The original shooting happened at about 12:50 p.m. local time (1:50 p.m. ET) when five Texas Attorney General's Office officers and two Harris County Sheriff's deputies approached the home at 5013 Hartwick Road, Harris County Sheriff's Chief Deputy Edison Toquica said.

Once they got into the doorway, the suspect began shooting and the lawmen returned fire, according to Toquica.

One AG officer as hit in the face, torso and ankle, while another was hit in the leg, NBC affiliate KPRC reported. A sheriff's deputy was reportedly shot in the right hand.

After shooting the officers, the target of the warrant, identified as 25-year-old Daniel Trevino, then barricaded himself for several hours and told SWAT officers he was going to surrender, but never did, authorities said.

"We worked very hard to establish an open a line of communication with the suspect. Suspect on many occasions stated he would come out, at one time he fired at the officers three times," said Toquica.

"We established a line of communications again and at about 6:15 p.m. CT (7:15 p.m. ET) we found that the suspect had suffered a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head. He is deceased at this time."

The original warrant was for an alleged violation of a protective order, officials said.