The mayor of Toledo, Ohio, said Sunday that it was still not safe for the 400,000 people in the area to drink tap water, but he said the level of toxins in the water supply appeared to be decreasing. “This is not over yet,” he said.
Mayor D. Michael Collins said more test results were expected later in the day. People in the Toledo area were told not to drink the water after tests at a treatment plant showed dangerous levels of microcystin, which can cause liver problems, diarrhea and vomiting. The toxin apparently came from algae blooms in Lake Erie, authorities said. Police had to be called in after people swamped local stores to buy bottled water. The Ohio National Guard brought in 33,000 gallons of drinkable water.
— Erin McClam
The Associated Press contributed to this report.