Breaking News Emails
Jurors tasked with deciding whether convicted Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev should receive the death penalty were warned Tuesday not to take part in any events related to the upcoming anniversary of the attack or this year's marathon.
A jury of seven women and five men last week delivered guilty verdicts in all 30 criminal counts against Tsarnaev for the bombings, which killed three people and injured 260 others on March 15, 2013.
Judge George O'Toole Jr. told jurors that the penalty phase of the trial, in which jurors will decide whether Tsarnaev will receive the death penalty or spend the rest of his life in prison, would begin April 21 and was expected to last about a month.
He told jurors that they must not participate in any events held to commemorate the second anniversary of the bombings, which is Wednesday. He also warned jurors to stay away from any events or media coverage of the Boston Marathon, which is scheduled for Monday.
Boston Mayor Martin Walsh has scheduled a moment of silence for Wednesday and encouraged residents and businesses to "share how they are marking 'One Boston Day' on social media," according to a statement from the mayor's office.
- Boston Bombing Trial: Penalty Phase to Begin on April 21, Judge Orders
- Boston Bombing Trial: Dzhokhar Tsarnaev Guilty on All Counts; Faces Death
- Americans Divided Over Death For Boston Bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, Poll Finds
— Andy Thibault and Elisha Fieldstadt