IE 11 is not supported. For an optimal experience visit our site on another browser.

TV reporter struck by car during live broadcast gracefully rebounds to finish shot

Tori Yorgey, a reporter for NBC affiliate WSAZ in West Virginia, was struck Wednesday evening while reporting live on a water main break in Dunbar.
Get more newsLiveon

“News never stops” is a phrase often used in the journalism world. 

And it’s a phrase Tori Yorgey, a reporter for NBC affiliate WSAZ of Huntington, West Virginia, took to heart when she was suddenly struck by a car during a live shot, fell and bounced right back up to finish her report.

The incident occurred Wednesday evening as Yorgey was reporting at the scene of a water main break in Dunbar.

In the clip, she is facing the camera when a car comes up from behind and strikes her in the back.

Yorgey lurches forward, shocked, saying: “Oh my God. I just got by a car, but I’m OK!” Her camera topples to the ground.

“You know that’s live TV for ya!" she says with a laugh. "It’s all good! I actually got hit by a car in college, too, just like that. I am so glad I’m OK!”

Yorgey fixes the camera and the lights and gracefully rebounds to finish her report.

In the clip, the driver who hit her is heard apologizing, and Yorgey replies, “Ma’am, you're so sweet, and you are OK.”

Yorgey told her co-host in the studio, Tim Irr: "That woman was so nice, though. She didn't mean to. It was an accident, and I know it was."

Seamlessly she transitioned back to her report, saying: "Again, Tim, we'll get back to the report. We're on Roxalana Hills Drive in Dunbar. This is where that water break is."

Yorgey, 25, who is originally from Pennsylvania, said Thursday that she's feeling fine except for a little soreness in her back and her right leg.

"I got checked out, no broken bones. They said I’ll be sore for a little,” she said.

She said the incident unfolded so quickly that she "blacked out" on falling and getting back up.

"I was standing there looking at the camera and as I'm literally about to speak, I just feel, like, a big old hit in my back, and I just saw the car," she said.

“I thought I was going under the wheel," she said. "I thought I was getting run over in that moment. It was really, really scary."

Yorgey said she doesn't remember falling and getting back up.

"That's always my first instinct, just get back up if I can," she said.

Yorgey said she immediately reassured the driver that she was all right, noting that the driver, as well as water workers in the area where she was shooting, checked in on her.

“I saw her face, the woman that was driving the car. She was mortified," she said. "Accidents happen all the time. I felt really compelled to let her know I am good."

Yorgey said that in her job she is often a “one-woman band” who reports on her own in the field, as she was doing Wednesday evening. 

Even after the fall, Yorgey didn't miss a beat and returned to reporting.

“I felt safe, and that’s why I didn’t leave and I kept doing the live shot," she said.

"I definitely love my job. I would not trade it for the world," she added.