IE 11 is not supported. For an optimal experience visit our site on another browser.

Two killed in shooting at Maryland senior living facility, police say

A suspect was in custody after the Friday morning shooting at the Gateway Village, an affordable rental community in Capitol Heights for people ages 62 and up, police said.

Two female staff members were killed and a suspect was in custody after a shooting Friday morning at a Maryland senior living facility, officials said.

Prince George's County police tweeted that they responded to the shooting at the Gateway Village, an affordable rental community in Capitol Heights for people ages 62 and up, around 9:15 a.m.

Shortly before 11 a.m., authorities said there were “two confirmed victims. Both victims are deceased.” There was no ongoing threat to the community, according to officials.

Lakina Webster, a deputy chief with the county police, said the suspect was apprehended on the third floor "without incident."

Police declined to name the suspect and said authorities were mulling charges. They also did not identify the two female victims.

Capitol Heights Police Chief Mark Cummings, whose officers were first on scene, said one of the victims was found in a corridor while a second victim was located in an office.

National Church Residences, the nonprofit over the senior facility that houses 89 residents, identified the victims as staff members.

"We are extremely heartbroken by the events that occurred this morning at our affordable housing property Gateway Village, in Capitol Heights, Maryland. We are proud of the heroic and swift actions of our staff to ensure that our residents were protected and kept safe. Our hearts go out to the families of our two team members who lost their lives in this tragic and unfortunate incident," the statement said. "We are fully cooperating with authorities as they further investigate the details of the situation."

NBC Washington spoke to a man who said he encountered the suspected shooter.

“I saw him after the shooting. He had come up to his place. When I stuck my head out after the fire alarm, he was laying prostate on the floor, arms spread out and the weapon put six feet in front of him,” said the man, who has lived at the facility since 2013 and was only identified by the news station as Donald.

The shooting prompted authorities to direct neighbors to shelter in place. A nearby elementary school was placed on lockdown, which was lifted at about 11 a.m., out of an abundance of caution.

"There is a depravity of heart that is associated with a killing like this one," Prince George's County Executive Angela Alsobrooks said.