IE 11 is not supported. For an optimal experience visit our site on another browser.

Two shot inside Philadelphia high school

A shooting inside a Philadelphia high school has left two students shot. Police say one suspect has been taken into custody, but that they are still searching for at least one other juvenile.

The shooting happened just before 3:30 p.m. at the Delaware Valley Charter School at 5201 Old York Road in the Olney section of the city, Philadelphia Police say.

A teen boy, who attends the school, pulled out a handgun inside the school's gymnasium and then the weapon fired. Police say it's currently unclear if the shooting was intentional or accidental.

Two 15-year-old students -- a boy and a girl -- were injured in the shooting, which took place near the gymnasium, police said. The boy was hit in the arm and the girl appears to have been grazed by the same bullet, police tell NBC10.

Both victims were rushed to Albert Einstein Medical Center, which is just a block north of the high school. They are both listed in stable condition and are expected to recover.

Philadelphia Police Commissioner Charles Ramsey says there were seven students inside the gym when the shooting happened and that the entire incident was caught on surveillance video.

The suspects

Ramsey says officials were able to quickly identify at least one alleged suspect using the video. They then pulled his records and sent officers to his home along the 2200 block of Bucknell Street in South Philadelphia -- which about 10 miles south of the school.

Once there, Ramsey said SWAT officers took the unidentified suspect custody. The teen's uncle said he boy didn't even make it into the home before police grabbed him.

"We had good response and were able to lock this down very, very quickly and get information very quickly as to who the suspect was and be able to locate that person very quickly and so this one worked out for us," the commissioner said.

Family members outside the suspect's home say he is 15-years-old and a "straight A student." That same family, who wished to remain anonymous, said his involvement in the shooting must be some kind of mistake.

The commissioner said police at first believed that student was the shooter, but through interviews have determined that he may have just been with the shooter.

"It's just like any other investigation, now we're able to talk with the people that were shot, the victims, able to talk with some of the kids that may have seen what took place," Ramsey said. "We have one person in custody that was part of it, at least with an individual that had a gun, if not the shooter himself, and we're looking for a second person, perhaps a third."

The gun has not been recovered. Police say they believe the suspects may have taken SEPTA's Broad Street Subway and a bus to get home. SEPTA Police are searching trash cans and station concourses along the line for the weapon.

The school and shooting response

Delaware Valley Charter School is one of 87 charter schools in Philadelphia. Charter schools are independent of the School District of Philadelphia. The school serves more than 600 students in grades 9 through 12.

The school was placed on lockdown following the shooting and was quickly secured. Officials say students were searched and then released on a one-by-one basis. The school was completely cleared at 5:30 p.m.

Parents told NBC10 reporters on the scene that there have been several fights at the school recently and that they had concerns about safety.

Police say the school does have security. The building is also equipped with metal detectors, so investigators are trying to figure out how the student was able to get the gun into the school.