IE 11 is not supported. For an optimal experience visit our site on another browser.

Two teen girls charged for online threats against Steubenville rape victim

A day after a juvenile court judge found two Steubenville High School football players guilty of raping a 16-year-old girl, Ohio’s attorney general announced two more teens have been arrested — for allegedly using social media to threaten the victim.

A 16-year-old girl will face a charge of aggravated menacing for threatening the life of the victim on Twitter, according to a statement from State Attorney Mike DeWine.

A 15-year-old girl is charged with menacing after being accused of “threatening bodily harm” to the victim on Facebook, DeWine said.

On Sunday, Trent Mays, 17, and Ma'lik Richmond, 16, were found guilty of raping the teenage girl during a night of heavy drinking and partying in a high-profile case that drew national attention to the small Ohio town.

Shortly after the trial concluded, DeWine announced a new, wide-ranging investigation that could yield more charges.  

"Let me be clear. Threatening a teenage rape victim will not be tolerated.  If anyone makes a threat verbally or via the internet, we will take it seriously, we will find you, and we will arrest you," DeWine said in a statement.

Social media played a unique role throughout the investigation as investigators used photos, messages and videos posted online to piece together what happened the night of Aug. 11, 2012. A now infamous 12-minute video shocked many in the town of 18,000 for the callous and profane way they discussed raping the young female.

"You were your own accuser, through the social media that you chose to publish your criminal conduct on,"  the mother of the victim told the boys after the verdict was read.

And more charges are likely to come down the line, perhaps for the football coaches and parents where the parties were held. Next month a grand jury will meet to consider evidence gathered during dozens of interviews, including the coaching staff of the Steubenville football team.

"I've reached the conclusion that this investigation cannot be completed, simply cannot be completed, that we cannot bring finality to this matter without the convening of a grand jury," DeWine said on Sunday, barley an hour after the judge handed down the guilty verdicts.

The two teens charged Monday are being held in a local detention center. WTRF of Steubenville reports the two will appear in front of a judge on Tuesday.

The Associated Press contributed to this report