IE 11 is not supported. For an optimal experience visit our site on another browser.

Woman, teen killed after gunman's daylong hostage standoff in Georgia

The hostage standoff began around 10:45 a.m. Thursday at a home in Stockbridge, Georgia.

A hostage standoff that began after a gunman barricaded himself in a Georgia home ended more than 15 hours later with him and two others dead and two police officers wounded, authorities said Friday.

Officers made a "dynamic entry" into the Stockbridge house around 3:30 a.m. Friday and found Sandra Renee White, 39, dead in the garage. The body of Arkeyvion White, 16, was found in an upstairs bedroom, the Henry County Police Department said.

They both appeared to have been fatally shot, Capt. Joey Smith said.

The gunman, identified as Anthony Tony Bailey Jr., 47, was found dead in a bedroom from a self-inflicted gunshot wound, police said.

Henry County police were called to the home around 10:45 a.m. Thursday.

A woman had called 911 after going to the house to check on a relative who lived there, Smith said during a news conference Thursday afternoon. When police arrived, they found Bailey barricaded inside with the teen. Police said Bailey was in a relationship with White and they believe there was a domestic dispute before the teenager was taken hostage.

Two officers, Taylor Webb and Keegan Merritt, tried to enter the house and were shot by Bailey, police said.

On Friday, the department released police body-camera videos showing Webb kicking in the door to the home and being shot as soon as he stepped inside. When several other officers try to help get the wounded policeman to safety, Bailey warns them to stay away.

"Don't come in here," Bailey is heard saying in the video. "I got a lot of shot. ... I got a hostage."

When an officer yells for Bailey to come outside, he refuses. The officer then asks where the injured policeman is. "He's downstairs somewhere," Bailey responds. "I guess I shot him, and he moved."

Another body-camera video shows officers kicking in part of a garage door to free Webb, who was shot in the upper torso and thigh.

Merritt was wounded in the hand as he sought cover behind a tree in the front yard. The officers, who have both been with the agency for seven years, were hospitalized with non-life-threatening injuries.

Initially, the gunman told police that he was going to release the teen. When negotiations failed, officers fired gas rounds into the home late Thursday to try and force him out. When SWAT officers tried to enter the home, Bailey opened fire. They did not return fire.

Smith said officers decided to go into the house because of "lack of confirmation, proof of life."