Police believe the drowning deaths of twin 4-year-old boys in a north Texas swimming pool were accidental, Arlington Police spokeswoman Cheryel Carpenter told msnbc.com.
The father of Mark and Luke Nguyen called Arlington police around 10:30 p.m. after finding his boys face-down in the pool behind their grandmother’s home. It was still warm outside from a day that had reached triple digits.
The boys’ mother, Huong Nguyen, told wfaa.com that her husband and sons were checking in on her mother-in-law because she has diabetes.
Carpenter said the father's brother-in-law was also at the home.
Within minutes, the boys apparently slipped away to the pool, Carpenter said, managing to breach a black iron fence around the perimeter of the pool. She said police do not know if the gate was latched.
The father found the boys unconscious in the pool. He jumped in, pulled them out and administered CPR while waiting for paramedics. The boys died en route to the hospital.
The parents, who also have a 1-year-old child, face no charges.
More content from msnbc.com and NBC News:
- In Montana, small changes spur nation's biggest jump in college graduates
- Company accused of deception turns GIBill.com over to Veterans Affairs
- Texas Rangers investigate shooting of teen lesbian couple
- Report: Stowaways in container on ship in New Jersey port
- Video: Home from jail, alleged ‘soccer mom madam’ speaks