Feedback
News

Another Doctors Without Borders Staffer Confirmed Dead in U.S. Airstrike

Kunduz Hospital: Before and After the Bombing 0:41

Another staffer with Doctors Without Borders has been confirmed dead after its charity hospital in Afghanistan was bombed in a U.S. air strike earlier this month, the organization said Friday.

The death toll in the strike on the facility in Kunduz is now believed to be at 30 — 13 hospital staff and 10 patients have been confirmed dead, and seven unrecognizable bodies were also found in the wreckage and have since been buried, Doctors Without Borders said.

One Doctors Without Borders other staffer and two other patients are presumed to be among the dead, the organization said.

The medical facility was mistakenly bombed on Oct. 3, U.S. defense officials said, days after Afghan security launched an offensive to retake the northern Afghan city from the Taliban. U.S. officials have said Afghan forces requested air support.

Gallery: Inside Doctors Without Borders Hospital Bombed by U.S.

The charity, which is also known as Médecins Sans Frontières, or MSF, said it is continuing to try and identify more bodies. More than 80 staff members were inside the building with two dozen workers missing amid the chaos, the charity said at the time. There were over 100 patients being treated there as well.

A U.S. AC-130 gunship struck the compound, which was helping to treat casualties from Taliban-related violence that had swept the city.

MSF criticized the bombing as a war crime, and President Barack Obama personally called the charity's chief and the president of Afghanistan to apologize for the strike. He also promised a full investigation.

The facility in Kunudz was closed after the attack. "Until MSF understands what happened on the night of the attack and has strong assurances that it cannot happen again, the Kunduz trauma center cannot be reopened," MSF said in a statement. "Our staff and patients must be safe."