Breaking News Emails
The 5-year-old boy with a brain tumor taken out of a U.K. hospital against the advice of his doctors — sparking an international manhunt for him and his parents — is expected to arrive next week in Prague for specialized treatment, the Proton Therapy Center said in a statement Sunday. Experts will convene at 8 a.m. Monday for a final meeting about the boy’s condition, and then he will be flown from the hospital in Spain where he is currently being treated.
Police pursued Ashya's parents — Brett King, 51, and Neghemeh King, 45 — last week when they plucked their son from University Hospital Southampton in England. When the Kings were found with the boy in Spain, they said they took their son because they were seeking a facility that would treat him with proton beam radiation therapy, The Associated Press reported. University Hospital denied him the treatment because doctors determined there was "no benefit to Ashya of proton radiotherapy over standard radiotherapy," according to a statement.
“We just want to help our son get through this bad time because he hasn't got too many months to live,” Brett King said Wednesday after charges brought against he and his wife — stemming from the incident — were dropped. Ashya's parents said they will sell property in Spain to pay for the proton beam radiation therapy, which the Proton Therapy Center said can begin once the young boy undergoes preparatory chemotherapy.
- British Boy With Brain Tumor Ashya King Reunites With Freed Parents
- Brain Tumor Boy Ashya King Should Be With Parents: U.K. Deputy PM
- Ashya King Case: Missing Boy With Brain Tumor Alive in Spain, Parents Arrested
— Elisha Fieldstadt