CAIRO, Egypt - The shaky cease-fire that has allowed around 1,000 people to evacuate the Syrian city of Homs has been extended for another 72 hours, United Nations officials said.
The U.N.'s World Food Programme confirmed to NBC News the agreement had been extended to evacuate civilians from the beseiged city. Rebels who are fighting to overthrow Syria's President Bashar al Assad have been surrounded since mid-2012 by his forces.
The Syrian Red Crescent said 300 people were evacuated on Monday.
The U.N. and the Syrian Red Crescent have been running the operation for four days but their workers have come under fire and had to take refuge inside the city themselves. The Red Crescent said 60 food packages and a ton of flour have also been delivered to the people still inside Homs.