China's defense minister on Sunday defended the bloody crackdown on protesters around Beijing's Tiananmen Square 30 years ago.
Responding to a question at the Shangri La Dialogue in Singapore, Wei Fenghe said the crackdown was the "correct" decision, citing the country's "stability" since then.
It is rare for Chinese government officials to acknowledge the events of June 4, 1989; references to it are heavily censored in China.
"Everybody is concerned about Tiananmen after 30 years," Wei said.
"Throughout the 30 years, China under the Communist Party has undergone many changes — do you think the government was wrong with the handling of June 4? There was a conclusion to that incident. The government was decisive in stopping the turbulence."
He added that China's development since 1989 showed that the government's actions were justified.
The Tiananmen protests were "political turmoil that the central government needed to quell, which was the correct policy," he said.
"Due to this, China has enjoyed stability, and if you visit China you can understand that part of history."