KABUL, Afghanistan — A suicide blast and gunfire rocked the embassy district of the Afghan capital Thursday, a local police commander told NBC News. Details of the attack were immediately unclear, but it came just hours after a U.K. embassy vehicle was hit by a suicide car-bomb, killing at least five people, including a British security guard. The second attack saw an explosion and gunfire break out blocks away from the U.K. embassy building, and the British Foreign Office told NBC News it was "monitoring closely."
The Afghan special forces commander overseeing the response to the attack said a number of suicide bombers had entered a foreign guest house complex. Speaking on condition of anonymity as he was not authorized to speak to the media, he said the militants were being pinned down by security forces who had cleared the surrounding buildings. It was not immediately clear if there had been any causalities.
U.S. military officials said it was their understanding the situation had been brought to a "conclusion" by Afghan forces. U.S. officials had no information regarding the specifics of the attack, the targets, casualties or how Afghan forces ended the standoff.
This is a breaking news story, please check back for more updates.
- Mom Grabs Slain Son's Gun to Kill Taliban Fighters
- Suicide Bomber Kills at Least 49 at Volleyball Game
- Obama Orders Longer Combat Role in Afghanistan