IE 11 is not supported. For an optimal experience visit our site on another browser.

Israel Enacts Security Crackdown in Wake of Violence

The stringent measures come in the wake of a shooting and stabbing attack on a bus in Jerusalem that left two Israelis dead and more than 20 injured.
Get more newsLiveon

Israel enacted a series of stringent security measures late Tuesday following a day of intense violence that left three people dead and more than 20 injured in a wave of shootings and stabbings.

The nation's security cabinet approved the measures, which included 300 new security guards for public transportation, beefing up the ranks of Israeli police, and authorization for police to surround "centers of friction and incitement" in Jerusalem.

It also declared that "terrorists" would have their permanent residency rights revoked and their property confiscated by the government.

Secretary of State John Kerry said he was working on calming the violence, and will travel to the region soon to try to move the situation "away from this precipice."

Earlier Tuesday, two men opened fired and stabbed passengers on a bus in the Jerusalem neighborhood of Armon Hanatziv, leaving two people dead, according to police. Medical units said more than 15 people were injured in the attack. One of the alleged bus attackers was shot and killed while the second was captured, Israeli Police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld said.

Separately, a driver rammed his car into a bus station before getting out and stabbing people on Jerusalem's Machei Israel street. One Israeli died in that attack, according to the United Hatzalah medical response unit.

In response, Jerusalem Mayor Nir Barkat called on the Israeli government to "immediately implement drastic measures" to ensure the safety of the city's residents as the death toll from near-daily violence climbed.

The Israel Defense Force, the country's compulsory military, was ordered to deploy units in "sensitive areas" along the country's security fence.

The Security Cabinet was expected to reconvene Wednesday afternoon.