Feedback
News

Kenneth Bae, Other Americans Detained in North Korea Plead for U.S. Help

Three Americans detained by North Korea urged Washington to send a high-ranking official to secure their release. Jeffrey Fowle, Mathew Miller, and Kenneth Bae made the plea to The Associated Press and CNN in a rare example of North Korea granting foreign media interviews. "The only hope that I have is to have someone from the U.S. comes," said Bae in the interview conducted under the watchful eye of regime officials. Bae who has been held since 2012 is accused of "hostile acts" to bring down the government.

Image: Jeffrey Fowle, Mathew Miller, and Kenneth Bae
From left: Jeffrey Fowle, Mathew Miller, and Kenneth Bae, three Americans detained in North Korea, pictured on Monday in Pyongyang. Wong Maye-E / AP

Fowle, 56 from Miamisburg, Ohio, is accused of leaving a bible at a nightclub, while North Korea alleges 24-year-old Miller ripped up his tourist visa at the airport and shouted that he wanted asylum. Miller refused to comment on this in the interviews. The men entered the country on April 29 and 10 respectively. Fowle told CNN that he had "no complaints" about his treatment. "It's been very good so far, and I hope and pray that it continues, while I'm here two more days or two more decades."

IN-DEPTH

- Alexander Smith

The Associated Press contributed to this report.