Militants pull out of key town in Idlib as Russian-backed Syrian troops press on

The withdrawal is a significant loss for the opposition in its last major stronghold of Idlib.
Image: Khan Shaykhun, Idlib
Syrian government forces gather near the town of Khan Shaykhun in the rebel-held Idlib province.AFP - Getty Images

Breaking News Emails

Get breaking news alerts and special reports. The news and stories that matter, delivered weekday mornings.
SUBSCRIBE
By Associated Press

BEIRUT — The main insurgent group in the Syrian province of Idlib pulled out of a key rebel town as government forces advanced in the area on Tuesday amid intense bombardment and airstrikes, a militant group and opposition activists said.

Fighters made "a redeployment" withdrawing to areas south of the town of Khan Sheikhoun, Syria's main al-Qaida-linked faction said in a statement. From there, they would continue to defend the territory, it said.

The withdrawal is a significant loss for the opposition in its last major stronghold of Idlib, in northwestern Syria.

Let our news meet your inbox. The news and stories that matters, delivered weekday mornings.

Syrian government forces have been on the offensive in Idlib and northern parts of Hama province since April 30, forcing nearly half a million people to flee towards the Turkish border. The recent fighting has killed more than 2,000 people, including hundreds of civilians.

Backed by Russian air power, Syrian President Bashar Assad's forces were able to enter parts of the town overnight, according to opposition activists. Syrian troops are now clearing the area abandoned by militants of explosives and booby-traps, activists said.

"After fierce bombardment by the criminal enemy that avoids direct confrontation with holy warriors by implementing a scorched earth policy, our fighters have redeployed south of Khan Sheihoun," the statement said.

The town had been in rebel hands since 2014. The opposition's territorial foothold in neighboring Hama province dates back to the earliest days of the eight-year-long conflict.

The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, an opposition war monitor, said the al Qaeda-linked Hayat Tahrir al-Sham and other insurgent groups withdrew from Khan Sheikhoun as well as all the towns and villages south of the town.

According to the Observatory, Khan Sheikhoun was home to about 1 million people, nearly 700,000 of them displaced by fighting in other parts of the country, before the government offensive began in April. In recent days hundreds of civilians remained in the town according to the group that tracks Syria's war, now in its ninth year.

Khan Sheikhoun was a stronghold of the al-Qaeda-linked militant faction, the most powerful group in rebel-held areas in Syria.The town was also the scene of a chemical attack on April 4, 2017 that killed 89 people.

Reuters contributed.