A North Carolina couple has been arrested for allegedly locking thier 14-year-old son in a bedroom without food or water for days, NBC station WCNC in Charlotte reported.
The station reported that Joy Evonne Skipper, 45, and Johnny Rufus Dickson, 41, have been charged with child abuse, inflicting serious bodily injury and contributing to the delinquency of a juvenile.
The couple boarded up the windows to the bedroom the boy was staying in, WCNC reported.
The Associated Press reported that the boy tried to escape to beg for food from neighbors.
When police found him he was dehydrated, but is expected to recover.
Skipper and Dickson were released Saturday on $15,000 and $25,000 bonds, WCNC reported.
A mother in Kansas City, Mo., was also arrested and charged over the weekend after her 10-year-old daughter was found locked inside a closet. The girl weighed only 32 pounds.
She was charged with child abuse and assault.
More content from msnbc.com and NBC News:
- Slow-moving storm Debby drenches Florida
- Calif. teacher, 4 students arrested over alleged hazing
- Police officer shot dead at jazz concert in Denver park
- Video: Florida residents take golf carts to the streets
- Marchers fill streets as cities across US celebrate gay pride
- NY GOP lawmakers targeted over gay marriage vote