Breaking News Emails
HONG KONG — Scuffles erupted as Hong Kong authorities cleared part of a pro-democracy protest camp in the bustling district of Mong Kok on Tuesday following a court order to reopen a road. The gritty, working-class area across the harbor from the main protest site at Admiralty has been the scene of some of the most violent clashes during two months of pro-democracy demonstrations in the Chinese-ruled city.
Hundreds of police stood guard as authorities enforced the court order to reopen Argyle Street to free up traffic. There was little resistance until the afternoon when police, some in rows with arms linked, faced off with protesters, several of whom were forcibly removed. Workers in white helmets and vests moved wooden blockades from the road after demonstrators had earlier dismantled tents and packed up their belongings. The injunction was granted to a bus company which said the blockade had hurt business.
Some protesters heckled and held up yellow banners demanding Beijing allow full democracy in the global financial hub. "Even if they clear this place, our will to fight for genuine universal suffrage hasn't changed," said protester Ken Chu, 27, wearing a bright yellow safety helmet and a gas mask. Hong Kong leader Leung Chun-ying, who has called the protests illegal, urged activists to go home. Hundreds of protesters remain camped out along nearby Nathan Road, part of which local media said would be cleared later in the week.
- Hong Kong Protesters Break Into Government Building
- Should We Go Home? Hong Kong Protesters Plan Vote
- Protesters March on Hong Kong Leader's Home