State Department appoints Sudan special envoy after bloody crackdown
The veteran diplomat previously served as U.S. special envoy for Sudan and South Sudan during the Obama administration.
Sudanese protesters used burning tires to erect a barricade on a street in Khartoum on June 3. Security forces attacked the protesters demanding that the country's Transitional Military Council hand over power to civilians. Reuters
Breaking News Emails
Get breaking news alerts and special reports. The news and stories that matter, delivered weekday mornings.
Opposition leaders say 108 people were killed in the violent dispersal of the protesters' sit-in outside the military headquarters in Khartoum, but Sudan’s Health Ministry has disputed that number and said 61 people were killed across the country.
The newly appointed special envoy is already traveling in the region with the top America diplomat to Africa, U.S. Assistant Secretary of State Tibor Nagy, and is in Khartoum for meetings with both parties in the Sudan conflict.
Let our news meet your inbox. The news and stories that matters, delivered weekday mornings.
State Department Spokesperson Morgan Ortagus said the U.S. representatives will be urging the Sudanese security forces to end the attacks on civilians, withdraw the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) from Khartoum, and allow an independent investigation of the recent violence. The Americans will also meet with other regional partners on the situation, Ortagus said Wednesday.
The RSF, the paramilitary unit blamed for the killings, were formerly known as the janjaweed militia. They gained international notoriety for brutal atrocities during the Darfur conflict in western Sudan starting in 2003.
Booth comes to the role with extensive experience — he previously served as U.S. special envoy for Sudan and South Sudan from 2013-2017 during the Obama administration.
The State Department, which does not currently have an ambassador to Sudan, has come under fire for what some critics saw as a slow reaction to the brutal attacks.
However, Nagy responded on Twitter just hours after the June 3 attacks, stating that the U.S. “stand[s] with the peaceful protestors” and calling on Sudan’s military authorities “to rein in these abusive forces and protect the people of Sudan.”
This was a brutal and coordinated attack, led by the Rapid Support Forces militia, that mirrors some of the worst offenses of the Bashir regime. We call on Sudan’s military authorities to rein in these abusive forces and protect the people of #Sudan. 2/5
Over 24 hours later, the U.S. condemned the attacks in a joint statement with Norway and the United Kingdom calling for “an agreed transfer of power to a civilian-led government as demanded by the people of Sudan.”
Pressure was also applied on Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates to use their influence on Sudan’s Transitional Military Council in publicly confirmed phone calls.
But an official statement on the attacks was not put out by the State Department until over 48 hours after the incident.