Kabul Suicide Bomb Blast Hits NATO Convoy, Kills 1 Civilian

by Fazul Rahim /  / Updated 

Breaking News Emails

Get breaking news alerts and special reports. The news and stories that matter, delivered weekday mornings.

KABUL, Afghanistan — A car bomb struck a NATO military convoy in central Kabul on Tuesday.

There were no U.S. or NATO coalition casualties, according to U.S. and Afghan officials. One Afghan civilian was killed and 22 were injured, police said.

"A four armored-vehicle convoy of foreign forces was attacked by a suicide bomber in a Toyota Corolla," Kabul police chief Gen. Abdul Rahman Rahimi told reporters at the scene. He said the "barbaric attack [was] carried out by the enemies of peace in this holy month of Ramadan."

Image: A destroyed armored vehicle in Kabul
A destroyed armored vehicle at the site of a blast targeting a convoy of foreign troops in Kabul, Afghanistan, on Tuesday.Massoud Hossaini / AP

Capt. Susan Harrington, a spokeswoman for NATO, confirmed the attack had taken place and that no coalition forces had been killed or injured. Soldiers from 42 countries, including the U.S., operate under NATO's Resolute Support mission in Afghanistan.

The explosion occurred at 1:20 p.m. (4:50 a.m. ET) on the main airport road.

The blast came as government employees were leaving their offices at the end of the working day, which is shorter during Ramadan. It sent a cloud of smoke over the Afghan capital.

The Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack via Twitter.

Breaking News Emails

Get breaking news alerts and special reports. The news and stories that matter, delivered weekday mornings.
  • Contributors
  • Jim Miklaszewski,
  • Associated Press
MORE FROM news