Breaking News Emails
A 33-foot-long tunnel that puzzled Toronto investigators last month was built by two men for "personal reasons," and without criminal intent, police said Monday.
The Toronto Police appealed to the public last week to help them identify the person or people who built the "sophisticated" tunnel near one of the venues for the Pan American Games, a sporting event that kicks off this summer. Apparently the call-out worked.
"With the enormous interest generated by the media, police received information on Friday, February 27, 2015, which enabled investigators to identify two men," police said in a statement.
The pair told police they had built the tunnel for "personal reasons," and their account was verified by investigators, the statement said. The "reasons" were not spelled out.
Toronto police spokeswoman Caroline de Kloet said the department wasn’t releasing any additional information or the names of the men because they will not be facing criminal charges.
“It’s two men that I guess decided to build a tunnel, and that’s that,” de Kloet said. “The big thing is that there’s no concern to citizens of Toronto,” she added.
The Toronto Police said they have concluded "there was neither criminal intent nor any threat to the people or city of Toronto," adding that the investigation was closed.
The tunnel was more than 6 feet in height and nearly 3 feet in width. Investigators found rosary beads and a poppy inside of the tunnel, which has since been filled in with dirt, de Kloet told NBC News.
— Elisha Fieldstadt