Tunisia Museum Attack Death Toll Climbs, PM Says Gunman Known to Intelligence

 / Updated 

Breaking News Emails

Get breaking news alerts and special reports. The news and stories that matter, delivered weekday mornings.

TUNIS, Tunisia — The death toll from the siege at Tunisia's Bardo Museum climbed to 23 people on Thursday, as the North African nation's leaders met to craft a national response to the terror attack.

The Tunisian Ministry of Health told NBC News that the gunmen who attacked the museum had killed 20 foreigners and three Tunisians. Two attackers also were killed when Tunisian forces stormed the museum in the capital city of Tunis, though the country's prime minister has warned they may have had accomplices.

Prime Minister Habib Essi said in an interview with RTL radio that one of the two gunmen was known to intelligence services and said Tunisia is working with other countries to learn more about the attackers, identified as Yassine Laabidi and Hatem Khachnaoui. He said Laabidi had been flagged to intelligence, although not for "anything special” and was not linked to any particular group, according to The Associated Press.

Britain's Foreign Office, meanwhile, confirmed that a U.K. woman was among the dead. Thousands gathered in Tunis late Wednesday to demonstrate against terrorism.

IN-DEPTH

The Associated Press contributed to this report

Breaking News Emails

Get breaking news alerts and special reports. The news and stories that matter, delivered weekday mornings.
MORE FROM news