Welcome to The Lid, your afternoon dose of the 2016 ethos… Donald Trump’s campaign manager said the GOP nominee is “like the Babe Ruth of debating.” So, either his team is filled with baseball historians who think Babe Ruth played in a less competitive era and does not compare favorably to modern-day players, or they are REALLY bad at the expectations game.
Get The Lid straight to your inbox each afternoon -- click here to sign up.
‘16 from 30,000
It’s finally here! Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump will square off in their long-awaited first presidential debate (moderated by our own Lester Holt) tonight beginning at 9 p.m. And just hours ahead of the big showdown, a brand new NBC News|SurveyMonkey Weekly Election Tracking Poll shows Clinton with a five-point lead. And 34 percent of voters in our latest NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll said tonight’s debate will either be “extremely important” or “quite important” in making their decision. You can watch all the action on NBC News and MSNBC, or stream it live on NBCNews.com. And for real-time updates and analysis visit our live blog at nbcnews.com/debates.
POPPING ON NBC POLITICS
- For full NBC News coverage of tonight’s debate, click here.
- NBC’s Alex Seitz-Wald and Benjy Sarlin preview fight night on Strong Island.
- Hillary Clinton did more debate prep at a hotel near her Westchester home today, including mock rehearsals featuring an "affable Trump."
- Tim Kaine delivered a warning to Trump: “You can run but you can’t hide.”
- Campaign heads for both candidates have already traded the first barbs.
- Here are 10 presidential debates that made a real impact on the race.
- And from First Read: Five story lines to watch tonight.
FOR THE RECORD…
“You can run, but you can't hide.”
Tim Kaine’s warning to Donald Trump ahead of tonight’s debate.
Vice President Joe Biden will campaign for Hillary Clinton in Philly. Bill Clinton also hits the trail in Toledo.
Hillary Clinton holds a rally in Raleigh, N.C.
Donald Trump campaigns in Florida.