Welcome to The Lid, your afternoon dose of the 2016 ethos… Programming note: The Lid will not be presenting a pithy opening line in today’s edition due the fact that there is a 104 degree heat index right now in Philadelphia and being funny seems dangerously dehydrating.
Get The Lid straight to your inbox each afternoon -- click here to sign up.
‘16 from 30,000
Democrats who had great fun watching the chaos and booing at the Republican National Convention are perhaps wishing today that they hadn’t indulged in so much schadenfreude. Sure, plenty in the party have privately wanted to see the downfall of Debbie Wasserman Schultz, but the timing of her exit just hours before the official start of the convention isn’t exactly good optics for a party trying to project a united and organized image. Our big question: Sanders supporters have already booed the name of Hillary Clinton once today; how will the entire arena react tonight when Sanders speaks?
For that answer and all the rest, follow along with our convention live blog -- here!
POPPING ON NBC POLITICS
- Embattled Democratic National Chairwoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz will not address the convention as planned when it begins Monday afternoon.
- She was booed in her morning appearance before the Florida delegations breakfast.
- Hillary Clinton campaigned in North Carolina as the DNC kicked off.
- Virginia governor and former Democratic National Committee Chair Terry McAuliffe said he was outragedafter reading leaked DNC emails.
- Pro-Sanders protests took a strikingly anti-Clinton tone ahead of Sanders’ address at the DNC.
- Clinton and Tim Kaine will embark on a bus tour throughout Ohio and Pennsylvania after the DNC.
FOR THE RECORD…
"No naps for Trump. No naps!"
- Donald Trump today, for some reason.