Welcome to The Lid, your afternoon dose of the 2016 ethos… Former DNC Chair Howard Dean on Tuesday said he was “not suggesting” Donald Trump uses cocaine after tweeting, “Notice Trump sniffing all the time. Coke user?” We’re not suggesting Dean doesn’t know what “suggesting” means but we think he should buy a dictionary.
Get The Lid straight to your inbox each afternoon -- click here to sign up.
‘16 from 30,000:
The reviews are in and...well... Donald Trump got out of the debate what he put into it. As our big sis publication First Read put it this AM: “Maybe the biggest contrast of all was on the candidates' preparation -- or the lack thereof.” Even Trump’s biggest defenders had to get creative when lauding the GOP nominee’s performance last night. On the morning shows, Mike Pence talked about the “candor” Trump showed. Paul Ryan commended him for giving a “spirited voice” opposed to the status quo. Yes, those are things Trump supporters fell in love with and helped secure him the GOP nomination. But they aren’t the types of silver linings skittish Republicans were hoping for in the first one-on-one showdown between the two candidates. That’s why we’ll be watching Trump’s schedule over the next 12 days. Will the candidate who knocked Hillary Clinton for preparing for last night’s debate take some time off the trail to better ready himself for October 9? Or is that simply not his style?
POPPING ON NBC POLITICS
- A beaming Hillary Clinton touted her debate performance here Tuesday, calling Donald Trump “dangerously incoherent,” NBC’s Monica Alba writes.
- Donald Trump painted an intensely dim picture of the country during last night’s debate, NBC’s Perry Bacon reports.
- Clinton said she’s ready for the next debate, even if she’s the only one on stage.
- John Sununu, who once said Trump has been “a loser all his life,” endorsed the GOP nominee on Tuesday.
- Donald Trump said he wasn’t sniffling during the debate.
- Video: Here are the best zingers from Monday night.
- Joe Biden wants to know “what in the hell” Trump is talking about.
- NBC News and our friends at PolitiFact fact checked the first presidential debate. Here's what we found.
- The two candidates presented vastly different visions on race, NBC’s Leigh Ann Caldwell reports.
- Here are six key moments from last night.
FOR THE RECORD…
“I tell ya, I am just looking forward to taking a walk. And I’ve gotta figure out, you know, how soon I can do this and whether I need a full on disguise or if a baseball cap is enough.”
President Obama on what he is most looking forward to upon leaving the White House.
Donald Trump makes campaign stops in both Iowa and Wisconsin.
Mike Pence is in Ohio.
Hillary Clinton holds an event with Bernie Sanders in New Hampshire.
Michelle Obama makes stops in both Pittsburgh and Philadelphia. And Chelsea Clinton is in North Carolina.