"That's false," Trump told "Meet the Press" moderator Kristen Welker.
Pressed by Welker about whether he would testify to that under oath, Trump said, “Sure, I’m going to — I’ll testify.”
“But more importantly, the tapes weren’t deleted,” he added. “In other words, there was nothing done to them. And they were my tapes. I could have fought them. I didn’t even have to give them the tapes, I don’t think.”
The interview, Welker’s first as moderator of “Meet the Press,” will air Sunday on NBC affiliates across the country. NBC News has also extended an invitation to President Joe Biden to sit down with Welker for an interview.
Tune into “Meet the Press with Kristen Welker” this Sunday for more from Welker’s exclusive interview with former President Donald Trump. Check local listings.
The allegation was the basis of a superseding indictment filed in late July against Trump, his valet, Walt Nauta, and Carlos De Oliveira, a maintenance supervisor at Mar-a-Lago, Trump's estate in Palm Beach, Florida. That followed a federal grand jury indictment against Trump in June on seven criminal charges in connection with his handling of classified documents at Mar-a-Lago after he left the White House. (Nauta was also charged then.)
In the superseding indictment filed as part of special counsel Jack Smith's investigation, prosecutors alleged that Nauta and De Oliveira asked a third, unnamed staffer to delete security video after investigators issued a subpoena ordering that the tapes be turned over.
Nauta and De Oliveira, who have both been charged with obstruction of justice, told the third staff member that "the boss" had requested that the security video be deleted, the indictment alleged.
Nauta, De Oliveira and Trump have all pleaded not guilty.
Prosecutors have never said the video was deleted.
“I think I would have won in court,” Trump told Welker. “When they asked for the tapes, I said, ‘Sure.’ They’re my tapes. I could have fought them. I didn’t even have to give them. Just so you understand, though, we didn’t delete anything. Nothing was deleted.”
Related Trump coverage
- Trump says it's 'very unlikely' he'd pardon himself if elected
- Trump says Melania will be back on the campaign trail with him 'pretty soon'
- Trump criticizes UAW leadership amid strike, warns auto workers’ jobs are moving to China
- Trump says he's pleased by Putin's praise: 'I like that he said that'
- Trump says he likes 'the concept' of a female VP pick
- Trump bemoans high interest rates and indicates he might pressure Fed to lower
- Trump criticizes Republicans pushing abortion bans with no exceptions: 'You're not going to win'
- Full transcript: Read Kristen Welker's interview with Trump
- Trump says he doesn't worry about going to jail: 'I don't even think about it'
- Here are 11 top moments from Trump's 'Meet the Press' interview
- Fact checking Trump's 'Meet the Press' interview