Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney told a group of donors in Manhattan Friday that he’s considering another run for president, NBC News confirms.
Spencer Zwick, who ran Romney's finance operation in 2012, told NBC News that the onetime GOP nominee told the donors that he is considering a third campaign.
The move comes just days after former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush announced the formation of a fundraising organization aimed at shoring up support and resources for a potential 2016 run.
The suggestion by the party’s onetime flag-bearer is sure to scramble the Republican primary field, as Bush – a favorite of major donors – was considered to be filling the role of the establishment’s favored candidate, previously held by the Massachusetts Republican.
Romney, who ran in 2008 and won his party’s nomination in 2012, appeared to be leaning against a run earlier this year.
In an interview on NBC's Meet the Press last year, Romney said repeatedly that he was not going to run.
"Look, I want to find the best candidate for us to take our message to the American people," he said. "That we can bring better jobs, higher incomes, and more security globally. We can do that. And I'm convinced that the field of Republican candidates that I'm seeing is a lot better position to do that than I am. So I'm not running."
Ann Romney, his wife, also said last year that her family is “done, done, done” with campaigning for the presidency after two grueling White House bids.
The news of Romney’s announcement was previously reported Friday by the Wall Street Journal.