IE 11 is not supported. For an optimal experience visit our site on another browser.

Paul Pelosi released from hospital a week after brutal attack

The House speaker's husband had undergone surgery to repair a skull fracture and serious injuries to his right arm and hands.
Get more newsLiveon

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s husband, Paul Pelosi, was released from the hospital Thursday, a week after he suffered a brutal attack by an assailant who broke into the couple’s home in San Francisco.

Pelosi, 82, underwent surgery at Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital to repair a skull fracture and injuries to his right arm and hands after the attack last Friday.

CNN first reported Pelosi's release from the hospital.

In a statement after his release, Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., said her husband "remains under doctors’ care as he continues to progress on a long recovery process and convalescence," adding, "He is now home surrounded by his family who request privacy.”

California prosecutors charged David DePape, 42, with attempted murder, assault with a deadly weapon, elder abuse, residential burglary, false imprisonment and threatening a public official in connection with the attack. DePape pleaded not guilty Tuesday.

DePape also faces two federal charges in connection with the assault: attempted kidnapping and assault with intent to retaliate against a federal official by threatening or injuring a family member.

Pelosi was in Washington, D.C., with her security detail when, authorities say, DePape bashed a window to break into the Pelosis' home early Friday.

Nancy Pelosi with her husband Paul Pelosi in 2021 in London.
Nancy Pelosi and her husband, Paul Pelosi, in London in 2021.Justin Tallis / AFP via Getty Images file

According to court filings, investigators said that once he was inside their home, DePape startled Pelosi awake and asked: "Where's Nancy? Where's Nancy?"

In his effort to escape, Pelosi asked the intruder to allow him to use the bathroom, where he dialed 911, authorities said. DePape, who had been carrying a large hammer and zip ties, is alleged to have lunged at Pelosi with the hammer after police arrived, knocking him unconscious. Officers said they tackled and disarmed DePape.