IE 11 is not supported. For an optimal experience visit our site on another browser.

Prince Found Dead With No Signs of Trauma, No Indications of Suicide: Police

Prince was last seen by someone who dropped him off at the estate on Wednesday night around 8 p.m., said Carver County Sheriff Jim Olson.
Image: Versace for H&M Fashion Show and Party, New York, America - 08 Nov 2011
Versace for H&M Fashion Show and Party, New York, America - 08 Nov 2011David X Prutting / Rex Features

Prince was found dead with no obvious signs of trauma to his body and there is nothing to indicate that his death was a suicide, police in Minnesota said Friday, a day after the music icon was found dead at his estate.

The seven-time Grammy-winning artist was discovered slumped in an elevator at his estate in Chanhassen, southwest of Minneapolis, and was pronounced dead at the scene at 10:07 a.m. local time (11:07 a.m. ET) Thursday, Carver County Sheriff Jim Olson said.

An autopsy was conducted Friday, but test results could take weeks, officials said.

The star, born Prince Rogers Nelson, was last seen by an acquaintance who dropped him off at the Paisley Park estate on Wednesday night around 8 p.m., Olson said.

Staff became concerned when they could not get in touch with Prince the next morning, and went to the residence to look for him. They found him "collapsed" in an elevator and called first responders who began CPR on Prince but were unable to revive him, Olson said.

The exact time of Prince’s death is pending, said Martha Weaver, a public information officer for the Midwest Medical Examiner’s Office.

The call to police was made at around 9:43 a.m. and the sheriff's office, fire department and an ambulance responded, which is “standard protocol,” Olson said.

He said some of the responders were carrying Narcan, a drug used as an antidote for drug overdoses, but did not use it.

Prince was found fully clothed on the first floor of the estate, Olson said.

Related: Prince's Flight Stopped for 'Unresponsive Male' Week Before Death, Source Says

Olson said it appears only Prince was at the estate at the time of his death, but when police arrived three staff members were at the scene.

"Prince is a very private person, and I don’t think that that would be unusual for him to be there by himself," Olson said.

The mood when police arrived was “somber,” Olson said. “He was a friend, I think, to the people who were there as well as being an employer. They were certainly shook by what had happened.”

Olson added that no medical calls came from Paisley Park regarding Prince or within the past year.

Olson reiterated several times that the investigation into the sudden death of Prince at the age of 57 was only 29 hours old, and much was unknown. He said investigators had processed the scene and would talk to people who were close to the music legend and gather medical records. He would not say whether anything was removed from the home during a search.

"There are so many rumors," Olson said when asked to put some of those rumors to rest. "I don't know if I can dispel all the rumors out there."

Prince's family has been cooperative in the investigation, which will be "meticulous," Olson said.

"We’ll do a complete and thorough investigation, and it’s better with this, for us to do it well than for us to do it fast," Olson said.

"This is certainly a big event internationally and nationally and I can tell you that we are going to leave no stone unturned on this and make sure the public knows what happened," he said.

Olson's news conference came a short time after the Midwest Medical Examiner's Office conducted an autopsy on Prince Friday.

The office said in a statement that the autopsy lasted about four hours and concluded at about 1 p.m. (2 p.m. ET). Prince's body was later released to his family, according to the medical examiner's office.

The statement said the exam would include gathering information about Prince's medical and family history.

"Anything which could be relevant to the investigation will be taken into consideration," the statement said, adding that the results of the autopsy would not be released until all necessary information was gathered.

"Gathering the results will take several days and the results of a full toxicology scan could likely take weeks," the medical examiner's office statement said.

Related: Investigating Prince's Death: What Happens During an Autopsy?

Prince was touring up until last week, but was briefly hospitalized April 15 after his plane made an emergency landing in Moline, Illinois, while he was on his way from a show in Atlanta back to Minneapolis. A source told NBC News that the plane had radioed in a medical emergency for an "unresponsive male."

A Prince spokesperson previously said that he was treated for the flu in Moline and released later that day.

"This is a tragedy for all of us," Olson told reporters. "To you, he is a celebrity. To us, he's a community member and a good neighbor."