Our editors independently selected these items because we think you will enjoy them and might like them at these prices. If you purchase something through our links, we may earn a commission. Pricing and availability are accurate as of publish time. Learn more about Shop TODAY.
2020 has come and gone (for the most part) and January is more than half over, weeks left for New Year’s resolutions in the first month. While we saw substantial discounts throughout October, November and December during key annual sales like Prime Day, Black Friday and Cyber Monday, there are plenty of notable savings to consider this month, from "white sales" (which date back to the 1800s) to lingering Christmas deals. Retailers like Target, Kohl’s and eBay are slashing prices on everything from fitness equipment and bedding to winter clothing, holiday decorations and more. To better understand what January has in store and how Shopping readers might find the best deals right now, we consulted retail expert Julie Ramhold, a senior staff writer at DealNews.com.
What stores are having big sales right now
- Abercrombie & Fitch is offering up to 60 percent off on select items and kids
- AeroGarden is offering 40 percent off all gardens for a limited time, as well as 20 percent off sitewide, including seed pod kits and accessories with code FRESH20
- Aeropostale is giving you up to 80 percent off clearance items
- Belk is giving you daily deals like up to 40 percent off select items sitewide with code LETSGETTOIT through Jan. 17
- Best Buy is offering deals of the day and savings on computers, appliances, headphones and more
- Costco is offering savings on select online only items through Jan. 21
- eBay is offering up to 30 percent off heaters and snow blowers and savings on brand outlet items by Rolex, Bose, Dell and more, as well as an extra 20 percent off purchases from Champion and Hanes over $15 with code JUMP4HANES through Jan. 17
- FRAME is giving you 25 percent off select items sitewide through Jan. 19
- Hestan Culinary is giving you savings on select skillets
- Keds is giving you up to 50 percent off select boots and sneakers
- Kohl’s is offering an extra 15 percent off sitewide with code SAVINGS15 and $10 in Kohl's Cash for every purchase of $50 or more through Jan. 18, as well as up to 60 percent off clearance items
- The Home Depot is offering savings on appliances through Jan. 27, as well as up to 40 percent off select tools and bath items and up to 30 percent off select storage solutions and bedding
- Horizon Fitness is offering up to $800 off select treadmills
- HUROM is giving you up to 30 percent off all slow juicers and blenders through Feb. 1
- Layla Sleep is giving you up to $200 off select mattresses, as well as two free pillows, microfiber sheets and a mattress protector with with every mattress purchase
- Lenovo is giving you up to 65 percent off select ThinkPad laptops and select desktops
- Lowe's is offering up to 40 percent off select bath essentials and select floor care
- Macy’s is offering up to 60 percent off sneakers and clearance, as well as an extra 20 percent off select items sitewide with code CLEAR through Jan. 18
- Nordstrom is giving you an extra 25 percent off clearance, up to 70 percent off select designer items, up to 40 percent off home goods and savings on winter coats
- Nordstrom Rack is offering an extra 25 percent off bedding, bath and home storage through Jan. 17, as well as up to 70 percent off cold weather gear and men's clothing through Jan. 20
- Raymour & Flanigan is giving you up to 20 percent off sitewide through Jan. 27
- Reebok is offering an extra 50 percent off markdowns with code GETDOWN
- Soma is offering up to 70 percent off intimates and clothing
- Target is giving you up to 25 percent off furniture and home decor, up to 20 percent off exercise equipment and up to 70 percent off clothes and shoes on clearance
- Ulta is offering 50 percent off daily deals and savings on select jumbo shampoo and conditioner through Jan. 23
- Verishop is offering up to 80 percent off warehouse items, an extra 15 percent off sale with code STARTNOW through Jan. 25 and 15 percent off select home items with code MODHOME when you spend $100 or more through Jan. 31
- Walmart is giving you up to 40 percent off toys, as well as end-of-year clearance sales on home goods, fashion, Christmas decor and more
- Wayfair is offering up to 60 percent off clearance through Jan. 19
- Williams-Sonoma is offering up to 75 percent off winter clearance, including cookware, cutlery, garden items and more
- Woot! is giving you a variety of savings, including deals on home, garden and electronics through Jan. 25
Best deals to shop right now
The Echelon Connect Sport Indoor Cycling Bike was an exercise bike bestseller in 2020 overall. It’s relatively affordable and includes 32 levels of resistance, slip-resistant handlebars and a cushioned seat. You’ll also receive a 90 day free membership, including access to 100 on-demand cycling classes.
This Horizon Fitness foldable treadmill is equipped with a 55-inch deck and a motor that can speed up to 10 mph. It also includes shock-absorbing cushioning for your joints, as well as bluetooth connectivity and cooling fans. Once finished with your workout, you can easily store the treadmill upright.
Whether you’re cozying up enjoying the winter from indoors, or are looking for a weighted blanket otherwise, Shopping readers prefer this Degrees of Comfort option. It features two duvet covers for hot or cold preferences, is made of 100-percent cotton and is filled with glass beads in small pockets for even weight distribution. It also comes in 13 sizes and weight variations — from five pounds to 30 pounds — and can be found in three colors, including Grey, Navy and Tan.
These Bonobos chinos are machine-washable and made of 98-percent cotton and two-percent stretch cotton twill for comfort. They feature two front pockets, as well as two back pockets lined with contrasting fabric and buttons for added detail. They also come in more than two dozen colors, including Storm Cloud, Olive Brown and Light Grey. Plus, you can find them in five different fits, among them Athletic and Tailored.
This cozy UGG boot features a leather upper and UGGplush wool-blend lining. It also features a Treadlite by UGG outsole for additional cushioning and comfort, as well as a toggle for design. Plus, you can find it in three colors, including Black, Charcoal and Chestnut.
If you’re looking for a winter coat, consider this parka by Sam Edelman. It’s lined with a blend of down-and-feather fill and is made of 100-percent polyester. It also features a removable faux fur detail at the hood, front zip pockets and an inner knit cuff at the sleeve to keep you warm. Plus, you can find it in four colorways, including Black, Loden, Mustard and Shadow.
Best things to buy in January and what can wait
According to Ramhold, January will be full of sales on fitness equipment, winter clothing, holiday decorations and bedding.
With the New Year bringing new fitness goals, many shoppers may have their eyes set on some new gear, from exercise bikes and foldable treadmills, to kettlebells, dumbbells and perhaps the new NordicTrack Vault. And as the holiday season comes to a close and stores prepare for the spring, we’re seeing winter clothes and holiday decorations at deep discounts, as well as some lingering Christmas sales and end-of-season savings. However, Ramhold suggests buying decorations sooner than later as selections and discounts will diminish quickly.
Finally, January means the annual set of “white sales,” which focus on soft home goods, including bed linens and bath items. For this reason, Ramhold suggests taking advantage of bedding discounts, which we can expect to see at up to 70 percent off.
Ramhold advised waiting until at least June to purchase gym memberships due to Covid-19 restrictions. Ramhold also said to hold off on video games and consoles, in particular the recently released PlayStation and Xbox consoles. And while most smartphones and laptops were on sale around Black Friday, Ramhold said spring and early summer should still bring modest savings, as should back-to-school sales. Aside from this, Ramhold cautioned readers to beware of items on final sale. “Before you buy, be sure it's something you want or can use, or at least have someone in mind who can use it if it doesn't work out for you.” Ramhold also suggested shoppers check out cash back extensions or rewards cards such as Rakuten to save more.