Sign up for the NEWS newsletter
You have been successfully added to our newsletter.
Let our news meet your inbox
BREAKING: Mueller charges Russia-linked lawyer with making false statements to FBI
Aleppo Endures Heavy Bombardment After Failed Ceasefire
Syrian government and allied forces have launched a fierce air campaign on rebel-held areas of Aleppo following a failed ceasefire.
People dig in the rubble in an ongoing search for survivors at a site hit previously by an airstrike in the rebel-held Tariq al-Bab neighborhood on Sept. 26.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said dozens of air strikes hit the rebel-held half of the divided city, the target of a fresh offensive announced by the Syrian army on Thursday.
Rescue efforts have been severely hampered as bomb damage has made roads impassable and civil defense centers and rescue equipment have been destroyed in raids.
A boy inspects a damaged site after airstrikes on the rebel held Tariq al-Bab neighborhood on Sept. 23.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said it had documented the deaths of 237 people, including 38 children, from air strikes on Aleppo and its environs since Sept. 19 when the ceasefire ended. Of those documented deaths, 162 were in rebel-held east.
Civilians watch as a tractor clears rubble following airstrikes in the Tariq a-Bab neighborhood in Aleppo on Sept. 24.
Aleppo has become the main battle ground of a conflict now in its sixth year. Capturing rebel districts of Syria's largest city, where more than 250,000 civilians are trapped, would mark the biggest victory of the civil war for Syrian President Bashar al-Assad's forces.
Syrians await treatment at a makeshift hospital following air strikes on rebel-held eastern areas of Aleppo on Sept. 24.
Only 30 doctors remain in rebel-held eastern Aleppo, where they are in dire need of medical and surgical supplies to treat hundreds of wounded people.
A man walks through the rubble of damaged buildings after an airstrike on the rebel held al-Qaterji neighborhood of Aleppo on Sept. 25.