Breaking News Emails

Get breaking news alerts and special reports. The news and stories that matter, delivered weekday mornings.
 / Updated  / Source: NBC News
By Elisha Fieldstadt

One of the officers charged Friday in the death of Freddie Gray was taken to a hospital in 2012 and had his guns seized after he allegedly made alarming comments to the mother of his son, according to a sheriff’s department incident report.

Lt. Brian Rice, 41, one of three Baltimore police officers who first made "eye contact" with Gray before his arrest, was charged Friday with involuntary manslaughter, assault, misconduct in office and false imprisonment.

Records filed by the Carroll County Sheriff's Office indicate that in April of 2012, officers were called to Rice's Carroll County house by another Baltimore police officer, identified in the document as Karyn Crisafulli, who had been romantically involved with Rice and was the mother of his then 6-month-old child.

Crisafulli contacted the sheriff's office because she was "concerned" after Rice had insisted that she bring their child to his house and when she didn't, he threatened to commit an act of some kind in his laundry room which alarmed her, the report said. The act is redacted in the report.

Rice also told her "he could not continue to go on like this," according to the report.

The Carroll County Sheriff's office said some parts of the report were redacted because they contained "medical or psychological information," which is protected under Maryland law.

Rice "appeared normal and soft spoken" to officers who responded, one of three officers said in the report. But one of the officers called a Baltimore Police Department official to brief him on the situation, and the official said that he had previously advised Crisafulli to stay away from Rice, according to the report.

Another responding officer wrote in the report that he asked Rice if he had any weapons at his residence and Rice said he had his service pistol.

At first when he was asked if he had any other firearms, he responded "no," the report said. The officer asked again, at which point, Rice led him to an unlocked safe with rifles. Crisafulli told the responding officer about an additional handgun in Rice’s vehicle.

A .40-caliber police pistol, a 9 mm handgun, an AK-47-style rifle, a .22-caliber rifle and two shotguns were ultimately confiscated from Rice's residence, according to the report.

Rice was brought to Carroll Hospital Center, but the report does not say how long he was there or what, if anything, he was treated for.

It's unclear when or if all of Rice's guns were returned to him. Rice was accused in June 2012 of taking a semi-automatic handgun from the trunk of his vehicle and threatening Crisafulli's then-boyfriend, The Associated Press reported, according to a complaint filed in 2013.

Rice is the highest-ranking police officer involved in the arrest of Gray on April 12. Gray ran from police that day after making eye contact with Rice, and officers pursued and arrested him, officials said. Gray died of spinal injuries suffered in police custody a week later.

The prosecutor who announced charges Friday said the initial arrest was illegal.

A police spokesman, Capt. John Kowalczyk, said he could not comment on matters that might involve an officer's personnel file. Speaking generally of department procedure, Kowalczyk told the AP that the department had overhauled its procedures for dealing with discipline and employees who need help with personal matters since the arrival of Police Commissioner Anthony Batts in September 2012.

Requests for comment from the department by NBC News went unanswered Friday.

Crisafulli, whose name is now Crisafulli-Mcaleer, told NBC News that she was not allowed to speak to the media due to "general orders." According to Baltimore Police Department records, she is still an officer for the department.

— The Associated Press contributed to this report.