Bill Cosby declined to respond when an Associated Press reporter asked about sexual-assault allegations that have recently resurfaced and have tarnished his legacy and fatherly image. Footage from the Nov. 6 interview, which was released Wednesday night, shows the legendary comedian sitting with his wife, Camille, after an event at the Smithsonian in Washington. Asked about the allegations brought by 15 women over previous decades, Cosby replied, “No, no. We don’t answer that.” Pressed again, he said, “There’s no response.”
Finally, the AP reporter asked, “With the persona people know of Bill Cosby, should they believe anything differently?” Cosby tells him: “There is no comment about that. And I’ll tell you why. I think you were told — I don’t want to compromise your integrity — but I don’t talk about it.” Cosby ended that part of the interview by asking that their exchange about the allegations be “scuttled.”
The 77-year-old entertainer has not been criminally charged in response to the allegations. Earlier this week, his attorney blasted the latest allegations from model Janice Dickinson — who claims Cosby drugged and raped her in 1982 — as a “complete lie.” In the wake of the controversy, several projects and appearances associated with Cosby have been postponed or shelved. NBC said Wednesday it is pulling the plug on a sitcom it was developing with Cosby for next year.
- NBC Pulls Plug on Bill Cosby Comedy, TV Land Ends Reruns
- Former Model Janice Dickinson Accuses Bill Cosby of Sex Assault
- Why Are Old Assault Claims Against Bill Cosby Back?