Subscribe to Breaking News emails

You have successfully subscribed to the Breaking News email.

Subscribe today to be the first to to know about breaking news and special reports.

Canadian Parliament Shooter Made Video Before Attack, Police Say

 / Updated 

Breaking News Emails

Get breaking news alerts and special reports. The news and stories that matter, delivered weekday mornings.

The man who killed a Canadian soldier before storming the nation's parliament building where he was killed in an exchange of gunfire with police and guards last week made a video just prior to the attack, police say.

"The RCMP has identified persuasive evidence that Michael Zehaf-Bibeau's attack was driven by ideological and political motives," Royal Canadian Mounted Police Commissioner Bob Paulson said in a statement Sunday night, adding that the department was not releasing the video.

Police believe Zehaf-Bibeau, described by authorities as a homegrown radical, was the lone gunman who killed Cpl. Nathan Cirillo before driving to the Parliament building and exchanging gunfire with police and guards before being killed on Oct. 22.

Paulson said the investigation turned up evidence that Zehaf-Bibeau stored a knife he was carrying during the attack on his aunt's property in Mont Tremblant and might have also stored the "old and uncommon" gun he used to commit the attack there as well.

Zehaf-Bibeau had saved "a considerable amount of funds" doing work in the oil fields of Alberta, money he used to prepare for the attack, the RCMP said.

"The RCMP is also investigating Zehaf-Bibeau's interactions with numerous individuals in the days leading up to this attack," Paulson said. "The investigation is focusing on whether these interactions could have contributed or facilitated, in any way, the terrorist attack subsequently committed by Zehaf-Bibeau."

IN-DEPTH:

—Richie Duchon

Breaking News Emails

Get breaking news alerts and special reports. The news and stories that matter, delivered weekday mornings.
MORE FROM news