A truck plowed into pedestrians during Bastille Day celebrations in the popular French seaside city of Nice on Thursday night.
What we know:
- French officials say 84 people are dead and 202 people were injured.
- The mayor of Nice's office identified the attacker as Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel, a 31-year-old Tunisian-born émigré living in France. He was killed by police at the scene.
- French prosecutors said the suspect was not known by local or national intelligence services and he was not on a terrorist watch list.
- French President Francois Hollande extended a nationwide state of emergency three months.
- An American father and his 11-year-old son have been confirmed among the dead.